Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Calling all Snickerdoodles

I tried a new recipe for Snickerdoodles yesterday and I was sadly disappointed by them. The "secret" ingredient was to use cornstarch to help give it that soft and chewy texture but my cookies came out hard and dry. They didn't spread as much as I had hoped and I'm sure I can come up with a dozen different reasons why the texture went wrong, I also didn't think they tasted like a true Snickerdoodle. So, if you have any tried and tested Snickerdoodle recipes please send them my way. Also, the simpler the better because I'm relearning how to bake on an oven that measures its degrees in celsius. To make it even more complicated, my oven doubles as a convection oven and uses hieroglyphic signs to denote its settings. I haven't found the Rosetta Stone for my oven so it's all trial and error until I do. Thanks for your help!!


Meanwhile, here's a look at my sad, disappointing Snickerdoodles.

















Notice: No crackled cinnamon sugar on top, no inviting, soft chewy center. Just brown hockey pucks. For those of you who have known me for a very long time, you know I am no stranger to hockey puck cookies but I thought I had grown beyond that! Maybe it's the oven...because it can't be me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment