Saturday, January 3, 2009

Crepey Breakfast Casserole

In a moment of inspiration, I decided to make a sweet breakfast casserole out of some pre-made crepes I had in the refrigerator. I thought that sugar, cinnamon, crepes, an egg custard and pears sounded like a good idea. I had some leftover cinnamon sugar from the Disappointing Snickerdoodles so I thought I'd try and use as much of it as I could. The end result was a very subtlely flavored casserole. I felt it needed a little bit of sweetness so I drizzled a little bit of maple sugar on top but try it first and see if you think it's sweet enough without it.

Crepey Breakfast Casserole
6 crepes, cut in half
1 pear - peeled, halved, cored, and sliced into thin slices
1/8 cup of chopped walnuts, chop them small but not fine
1/4 cup slivered almonds, separated into 2 1/8th portions
3 extra large eggs
1/2 heavy cream
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
Cinnamon sugar (1/3 c. sugar mixed with 1 tbs cinnamon)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, 176 degrees Celsius.
Butter a small baking dish. I used Pam on mine and I didn't like how it tasted so I recommend you just use a little bit of the good stuff.

Sprinkle cinnamon sugar onto a halved crepe and fold over in half again. Repeat for all of the crepes. Make one layer of crepes on the bottom of the baking dish, making sure to cover as much of the dish as evenly as possible.

Layer the slices of pears on top of the layer of crepes and sprinkle the walnuts and 1/8 cup of the slivered almonds on top of the pears. Cover the pears and nuts with one additional layer of crepes, making sure to cover it as evenly as possible.
Mix the eggs, cream, milk, vanilla, and 2 tsp of the cinnamon sugar. Whisk the mixture until it is well blended and slightly frothy. Pour the custard over the crepes in the baking dish. Wiggle the dish around a little to make sure the custard fills in the crevasses between the crepes.

Sprinkle the remaining 1/8 cup of slivered almonds onto the crepe and cover the almonds with a generous sprinkling of the cinnamon sugar. Bake the casserole for 40 minutes, turning once to ensure even cooking. You want the egg to set and the top of the casserole to be crisp and golden.
I served mine with a cinnamon whipped cream (I desperately wanted to use up all the cinnamon sugar mix I had) but I can also vouch that it tastes pretty good with maple syrup. Fruit preserves would also be nice if you wish for some additional sweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment