Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Lime Coconut Marinade

What do you do when it’s sunny but 40 degrees (Fahrenheit) outside? You dream of warmer places. When planning our Easter holiday this year, I could not stomach the idea of staying around Scandinavia. The only direction I could provide was: South. That is how we ended up booking to tickets to Turkey. Still, that’s 3 weeks away and that means 3 more weeks of cold, crisp, and windy conditions. 3 more weeks of my big coat.

I guess if I can’t bring me to summer, then I will try and bring summer to me. Using my stovetop grill pan, I indoor-grilled these lime and coconut marinated shrimp. But there are no grill marks, you might notice? The grill pan wasn’t hot enough and so the shrimp just sort of sautéed. It would work better with larger shrimp and a real grill. None the less, the taste was spot on and that was due to the marinade. This would also be great with chicken or tofu.

Lime Coconut Marinade
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1 cup coconut milk
2 cloves of garlic, smashed
1 quarter of an onion, thinly sliced
2 tbs honey
¼ tsp pepper
½ tsp salt
1 tbs sriracha
A few sprigs of cilantro (optional)

Whisk all the ingredients together and let them refrigerate for half an hour altogether. Pour the marinade over shrimp, chicken, pork or tofu and let it marinade for at least 30 more minutes before grilling or pan sautéing the meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment