Sunday, March 8, 2009

Time to Eat Like an Adult

Want a breakfast that is loaded in protein and fibre? Want this breakfast to taste good? Well I have the answer! This oatmeal is filling, lightly sweet, and has great texture from the almonds. After all of the cookies and cakes that I've been making, I feel like it's time to have something just a tad bit more healthy. However, just because I want to eat something healthy, it does not mean that I need to compromise on flavor. Harumph!

Honey Almond Oatmeal
Serves 1
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup non fat milk
1 tbs honey, or to taste
3 tbs slivered almonds (sliced can also be used)
1/8th tsp almond extract (optional) - really just a tiny splash
1 tbs ground flax seeds (optional)
tiny pinch of salt

Put the milk, oatmeal, flax seeds, and pinch of salt into a saucepan and bring it to a simmer. To the simmering oatmeal, add the almonds and the honey and mix well. Cook the oatmeal to your desired thickness. I like it not so thick so that the texture of the oatmeal comes through. When the oatmeal is done, turn off the heat, stir in the almond extract and serve it up.



No comments:

Post a Comment