Sunday, March 15, 2009

Oatmeal, It's Not Just for Breakfast

I have eczema. Eczema is a dry skin condition that is itchy, red, inflamed and hurts/itches. It affects A LOT of people each year. I know what you’re wondering; I didn’t know I was so science minded either. Some people believe it’s brought on by food allergies, others by climate. I think mine is genetic. I also believe this as I do not want to curb my diet. I usually use a cream containing borage oil that I can find at Whole Foods. But since there is no Whole Foods in Norway and I can’t find that cream in the stores, I am giving the home remedies a try.
I read on the web that a mix of cooked oatmeal and honey is good. The honey is a natural disinfectant that will clean out the areas where I have scratched my skin raw. The oatmeal has properties that aid in soothing and relieving itchy skin. This same mix can also be used to make a nice facial mask if you are lucky enough to experience life without eczema.
Honey Oatmeal Mask
2 tsp dry oatmeal
1 tbs honey
3 tbs water

In a small pot or saucepan, bring the oatmeal and water up to a simmer. Add the honey and let the mixture cook over low/medium heat until it is thick and “cooked.” Let the mixture cool before applying it to your skin. If your skin has been scratched raw, you will feel a bit of a tingling or stinging after about 5 minutes. That’s just the honey doing its job.

My eczema has not gone away but I did experience relief for the next 12 hours. I didn’t feel the persistent itchiness and the raw patches started to heal very quickly. Repeat 2 times a day until you get some relief. The oatmeal for your face is a great way to hydrate your skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment